Friday, December 2, 2011

Gotta Love Big Vintage Japanese Refractors!


Merry Christmas All! 

I just had to post a photo of one of my favorite vintage refractors: a 1970's Pentax-100 (D=100mm / FL=1200). It stands nearly 8ft tall, tip to floor. 



After many months of not getting it out, I finally got to bring it up from my basement 'man cave' and set it up last night on the deck. It was a very cold and very clear night.  Seems the coldest nights are always the driest and clearest - yielding the best astronomical "seeing".  I'm pretty sure last night / early this morning was the coldest day yet for the past ten months - around 21 degrees F.  

I don't remember open star clusters looking so sparkling - like the proverbial diamonds on black velvet. Definitely the best views of Jupiter I've had for at least a year or two, and the stars of the Trapezium (in the center of the Orion Nebula) never looked so good!  The Japanese and Germans have consistently made the best optics in the world.  This telescope is no exception.  Gotta love big vintage Japanese refractors! 

It's getting late, so I'll keep this short.  I pray this Christmas will be your best ever, with many blessings of friends, family and the Lord!

Peace & blessings, Donn

1 comment:

  1. A Merry Christmas to you and Mary, and best wishes for the coming year! God's richest blessings on you and your family.

    Roger Hardwicke

    ReplyDelete